Let’s face it, we’re all addicted to Twitter now. We check it as often as we check Facebook and regularly find ourselves saying things like “Can you RT?” and “Did you see that (insert celeb name/news story here) was trending” on a daily basis.
It’s a whole new techy language. The likes of poke, like and tag are now a thing of the past. Now it’s all about mentions, retweets and hashtags. First off, my advice is don’t freak out. Yes, it’s daunting and you have no idea what you are doing for at least the first two weeks but after that it’s totally plain sailing and you’ll end up wondering how you ever managed to live without it.
With that in mind, here are my 10 top tips for utilising your Twitter account to your advantage:
1. Follow a healthy mix of influential people, friends, family, celebs and just the downright silly. Everyone needs a bit of joy in their days.
2. Make sure you add a link to your website on your profile and don’t be afraid to post links to your work and blog posts. It’s a great way of driving traffic to your site.
3. By all means voice your opinions and your woes but the moment you find yourself steering away from pleasantly neurotic to just downright angry it’s probably a good time to close the app/turn off your computer.
4. Don’t do the angry ‘I can’t believe you unfollowed me’ tweet. It’s not big or clever and it doesn’t get you anywhere.
5. Follow Fridays aka #FF’s are a useful tool for networking and sharing the love.
6. Twitter stalking is risky. Be prepared that people may be stalking you, or more likely you are stalking them. It has the same potential as Facebook and can bring a lot of sadness and heartache should you read something you probably didn’t want to read.
7. Post regularly, that’s one of the joys of Twitter. But when you find yourself Tweeting about absolutely everything you are doing, it may be time to cool it down a bit. You don’t want to be THAT guy.
8. Hashtags have two uses. One, they make you feel like the funniest person alive #justsayin and Two, they mean your Tweets come up in searches a lot easier.
9. It’s best to Retweet by copying and pasting the whole tweet and then adding RT at the front so you can add your own comments to it too. For example: @supersuperHQ We do too! RT @imcalledclaire Does anyone else find that the new Florence album tricks you into thinking that you are the best singer in the world? Or is that just me..?
10. Have fun with it and don’t take it too seriously. After all, it’s just another platform for us to express ourselves and celebrate our individuality.